Saturday, October 3, 2009

Breast Cancer Quilt

In honor of October being National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I thought I would share something that is very near and dear to my heart. About two years ago, a close friend of mine, who is more like a sister, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Unfortunately, we are about 400 miles apart, but I was thinking about her every hour of every day, wishing I could be there for her.

In July of 2008 she had the lump removed and in August she was at my wedding standing with me as one of my bridesmaids. When others might have been too scared or self-conscious of their condition to even attempt to be part of a wedding, she did not. She is truly an amazingly strong woman, and for that, I look up to her.

The following winter she went through all her treatments, and now she has come out the other side just as beautiful and strong, if not more, than she was before.

I regretted that I could not be there for her and support her. I knew I had to do something special for her, so I decided I need to make her a quilt for her birthday and in celebration of the 0ne year anniversary of the removal. So, I went to the quilt store in search of inspiration. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I walked in I saw the pink ribbon patterned fabric? I found a pattern that I thought she would like, and I picked some more pink fabrics...I was off and running!

The pattern (Half Penny by Tracy Pahl for Blue Underground Studios, Inc.) was simple and went quickly. One modification to the pattern that made it go faster was that I strip-pieced the skinny and wide pieces, cut them into four, and then mix and matched them (making sure that each square's center "cross" was made of matching fabric).


It took a little bit of math, but I got it figured out. This is the end product.


And with that, I will leave you with a poem:

TOMORROW
©
Renee Franklin - Dec. 2, 1997

In my darkest hour...
In my deepest despair...
Will you still care?
Will you be there?

In my trials and my tribulations?
Through all doubts and frustrations?
In my violence...
And my turbulence?

Through my fear
And my confessions?
In my anguish...
And my pain?

Through my joy and sorrow
In the promise of another tomorrow
I will never let you part
For you, are always in my heart.





1 comment:

  1. It's so beautiful. I've had the pleasure of seeing it in person, and it's even more beautiful live!

    ReplyDelete

Other Posts of Interest

Related Posts with Thumbnails