Monday, January 4, 2010

Of Thee I Quilt

While I was home for Christmas, I was finally able to get a picture of the quilt I made my mom two summers ago. It was a gift to thank her for helping me so much with my wedding planning. The pattern is from Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine's July/August 2007 issue.



I used a cream cotton print along side my own red and blue hand-dyed silks. The silk needed to be backed with interfacing to create a material that would match the cottons strength, weight, and drape. It is hand quilted...my first! The silk with the backing was much harder to hand quilt than the cotton fabric. The needle would get stuck and was difficult to pull through the layers in the silk sections. So much so that, at times, I would need to use needle-nosed pliers to pull the needle through. I don't think I will hand quilt with silk again. Below is a close-up of my stitches.

The quilt now hangs above my mom's desk at the Livingston County courthouse. A fitting place for the quilt, I think :)

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!!!!! I love it so much! I wish we lived closer because I think I would be an attachment to your hip while you work. :-) Fabulous stuff!!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Other Posts of Interest

Related Posts with Thumbnails