Sunday, May 23, 2010

Our Woodland Garden

We have a really shady spot in the back corner of our yard. It gets about 2 hours of direct sunlight a day. The rest of the time it gets shade from the neighboring cypress trees and 6-foot fences. The previous owners of the house must not have known what to do with the space, so they covered it up with gravel and stepping stones. Pretty ugly to look at and completely nonfunctional. I thought the little corner needed to be spruced with with some color, so here is what I came up with...

In the Woodland Garden lives the following shade-loving plants: clematis, hydrangea (one of my favorites and flower of choice for our wedding), ferns, hostas, wax begonias, fox glove, toad lily, wood poppy, spotted dead nettle, dwarf Jacob's ladder, and bletilla alba (part of the orchid family).

I wanted to go with all perennials, but planted to begonias this year to fill out the garden some. I think next year, when the perennials have time to do their thing, I will just let it be and allow it be more natural looking. I can't wait until the clematis starts growing up the fence!

Oh and, Lady Meow Meow says "hello!" :)

1 comment:

Other Posts of Interest

Related Posts with Thumbnails