Monday, November 1, 2010

Living with Less

A constant battle rages inside of me between learning to live with less and having all the things I would like to have. Our 1,300 square foot house, built in 1949, has all the amenities of a house from that era— rambler-style, small closets, a galley kitchen that is hard to fit even two people in, no basement, and an attic that might as well be a crawl-space. To add to the matter, I love to sew and quilt and crochet, cook and entertain, and I buy and sell vintage...talk about passions that accumulate "stuff"! I must find a balance!

Don't get me wrong, I love our house. In fact, we bought it because it was not your typical cookie-cutter track housing you find so much of in our area. But, I am finding that having all these things in what is considered a smaller home (average house size in 2004 in the U.S. was 2,350 square feet) is holding me back and weighing me down. Somehow, I feel it's preventing me from doing those things above that I really enjoy. It is time to purge!

What to do? What is my action plan? What is my goal? Well, I need to change my lifestyle. I need to take assessment of what is really important to me. I need to ask questions of these things that are around me. I will be posting about my purging in the coming weeks (possibly months), along with completing my UFOs (unfinished objects) in order to get my life more in order. Hopefully I will be able to find a balance between learning to live with less and still being satisfied.

Do you have the need to purge? How do you keep your "stuff" from getting the best of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Posts of Interest

Related Posts with Thumbnails