Wednesday, February 16, 2011

All Natural Jewelry Cleaner with Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide


For the past six months or so, I was getting a skin irritation around my ring finger. So much so, that I had to stop wearing my engagement ring (my wedding band seemed to be okay). I had attempted to clean it with soap and water and jewelry cleaner. I even took it to the jewelers to get a professional cleaning. All with no avail. I was still getting a rash around my ring finger within hours every time I wore it. I was worried I was allergic to my engagement ring, but since it is platinum I thought that was unlikely as I had worn it for almost three years with no issues. Maybe it needed to be replated? I really didn't want to spend the money on that. And besides, it is a Tacori...I would think that I wouldn't have to get a Tacori ring replated every three years or so.

After a little internet searching, I found what I believe is the best cleaning method for high-end metal and precious gem jewelry. I would never use this for costume jewelry.

Soak your ring overnight in 2 parts vinegar (I used white vinegar) and 1 part hydrogen peroxide. In the morning you will see all the loosened particles of soap, lotion, and other gunk that has been stuck in your ring. Boil your ring for 5 minutes. And, that's it! 

I have been wearing my ring for three days now with no itching or redness!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, thanks! I'm going to try this method to clean my ring tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete

Other Posts of Interest

Related Posts with Thumbnails